- Prevent Paint damage: Be sure to mask area around exterior handle before removal and installation.
- Prior to replacement compare the replacement unit to the original.
- Do not damage water shield. It will need to be reused.
- Replace all rod retaining clips when available.
- Always torque fasteners to specs (do not over tighten).
- Always replace door panel retaining clips if they are damaged.
- Check operation of door lock actuators, replace as necessary.
- While you have the door panel off now is a good time to check operation of window regulator. Replace if binding, noisy or if operation is erratic.
- Inspect all door hinge pins and strikers. Hint: if door drops when opened, hinge bushings and pins may be worn.